Along with traffic jams, pollution is probably one of the most significant inconveniences of urban living. And at an alarming rate, it is moving from an inconvenience to danger to our health. As we cough our way through the day, we often overlook the extent of the effects of pollution on our skin.
Several elements can impact your skin, such as toxic particles, carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxide emissions from cars, and lead from factories. If you are living in a city like Delhi, then you are surrounded by these harmful particles every second of the day.
There are also secondary pollutants, such as ozone, which form when primary pollutants from stationary (industries and heating) and mobile (transportation) sources expose to solar rays and heat.
Pollution can also depend on the season and your geographic location, meaning it can change from one day to the next.
WHAT EFFECTS DOES POLLUTION HAVE ON THE SKIN?
Pollutants attack your skin even when you’re asleep, making it more reactive Worse, the more sensitive or damaged your skin is, the worse the harmful effects. So unless we take preventive and curative measures immediately, the problem keeps worsening. Research is shown that this effect is not only long term, it can also be irreversible if left untreated. (Source)
What’s more, since toxins block pores and build upon the skin, it can have difficulty oxygenating properly, compromising its quality. Here are some of the effects that you may notice:
»Premature skin aging
»Skin dehydration and dryness
»Dilated pores and appearance of blackheads or pimples
Even without these effects, you will see a dull and unhealthy look on your skin.
5 WAYS TO PROTECT YOUR SKIN FROM POLLUTION
The good news is that you can minimize the harmful effects that pollution has on your skin! Here’s how:
- Remove your makeup and adequately cleanse your face twice a day. Cleanse your skin morning and night with an effective face wash, face scrub or a makeup remover adapted to your skin type to remove dirt and get rid of as many pollutants as possible.
- Exfoliate your skin once or twice a week. In addition to unclogging your pores and removing dead skin cells, exfoliating prevents pollutants, dirt, and bacteria from building up on your skin. Moreover, as a bonus, the products you apply afterward will be all the more effective! Make sure that the exfoliating soap that you use is pure and natural.
- Moisturize your skin morning and night. After cleansing or exfoliating your face, re-balance your skin’s moisture level by applying a serum loaded with active ingredients, followed by a moisturizer adapted to your skin type (whether a moisturizing cream, lotion, fluid or gel). The plasma and cream complement each other and help re-establish your skin’s protective barrier.
- Protect your skin from the sun. We can’t stress it enough: applying sun protection (or cream that includes sun protection) is essential. Not only are UV rays harmful to the skin, but they also amplify the effects of pollutants! So make sure to apply sunscreen every day, year-round. However, If you’ve got a job in which you can not avoid sun very often, you may look out for a regularly good face pack to Nourish your skin deeply to make it soft, healthy and supple.
- Eat foods rich in antioxidants and healthy fats. In addition to being delicious and good for you, garlic, almonds, eggplant, broccoli, avocado, whole grains, oily fish and eggs help restore the skin’s hydrolipidic film and promote healthy tissues.
HOW TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE? Trust Sacred Salts
Sacred Salts has come up with an extraordinary product line. At Sacred Salts, you will find products enriched with the excellent cleansing and exfoliating properties of Charcoal and Coffee and healing power of turmeric. We have a line of amazing products which will protect you from the pollution and reverse the actions of harmful UV Lights.
Also, the products manufactured here are Paraben free, 100% Organic and are dermatologically tested.
Hit the Big blue button to own these Ayurvedic products right away!